Following suicide assaults Afganistan evacuation halted by Australia

0
573

On Friday, Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced that Australia had halted evacuation flights from Afghanistan after suicide bombers from the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria killed dozens of civilians and at least 13 US military personnel outside Kabul’s airport (Aug 27).
Mr. Morrison said Australia’s military personnel had been evacuated from Kabul just hours before the assaults. It was no longer safe to continue evacuations due to the unstable security situation. Our approach now shifts to the post-evacuation stage, which includes securing the repatriation process through our official humanitarian program,” Mr. Morrison told reporters in Canberra. Britain announced on Friday that it would finish evacuating its troops from Afghanistan “in a matter of hours.”
“We will process those folks that we have brought with us, around 1,000 people inside the airstrip right now,” British Defence Secretary Ben Wallace told Sky News.
And we’ll try to find a means to discover a few people in the crowd where we can, but the major processing is already complete, and we only have a few hours.”
Mr. Wallace claimed that the United Kingdom had “closed the Baron Hotel,” where passengers wishing to go to the United Kingdom had assembled.
It also shut down the asylum-seeker processing center and Abbey Gate, one of the main entrances to Kabul airport and the sites hit by the twin suicide blasts on Thursday.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Enable Google Transliteration.(To type in English, press Ctrl+g)